Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 2 - The Grand Tour


Boogity Boogity, Let's go Racin! Day two at the Little White House was not exactly what I expected. I got there right on time after a pretty restless night of sleep and having to take my dog out to use the bathroom in the pouring rain. I went into the office and Met David Burke on the way in. Hey is the head interpretive ranger and was getting out of his car. He is in a wheelchair and can move that thing like no other. After that, they showed me how to answer the phones and how to tranfer the calls and use the walkie talkies. It was a pretty intense little phone system. Next, we sat around talking about the previous manager and all her flaws intertwined with talks of our pets and ranger camps and movies from the 1930s. I was actually pretty excited about the Ranger camp. The two interpretive rangers (or "terps" as they are called) really want me to be involved in the junior ranger camps that they have coming up in July. I am going with them on Wednesday to the National Fish Hatchery for a meeting about the camps. It sounds pretty promising.

The rest of my day was all about the site. Mary dropped me off down at the museum and told me that I was to spend my time walkig around with the "Tour Mate" ( a little black remote looking thing that you punch in numbers that correspond with displays and then it tells you a story about that display). And that is what I did for 4 and a half hours.l I walked around the entire site and saw every display like five times each. Well, it was boring after a while, but I feel like I know a lot of what there is to know. Ask me some questions....I dare ya! I did have a good time sitting around with Betty Sue and Steve chatting about some of the local history and about local theater. I'm off tomorrow for my brother's wedding and back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment